Today the second workbench was cleaned off in anticipation of bringing out the large tail cone skins and going through the process of preparing those for assembly. However, I thought it would be a good time to use the open space on the work bench to inventory the wing kit instead.
I had asked Van’s for an extension until after
Oshkosh to inventory the wing kit (normally
they only allow 30 days to dispute any missing parts) ... realizing I was on borrowed time and had not
done that yet, decided it best to use the cleaned off benches to inventory the
wing kit components.
Removal of the wood top revealed yet more of Van’s
The ribs are all in plastic wrapped bundles wrapped
again in paper
sitting on cardboard which is placed on top of the skins for
Under the pile of ribs and small parts the skins
are in two layers covering the entire
bottom of the box then curving up the side and under a piece of wood that holds
them in place for transit. I think Van’s uses the stickiest duct tape on the
planet to secure the parts in place … it is challenging to get it off to separate
parts for inventorying.
Setting down for the long task of counting small
parts and marking them off the list.
I did not take any photos of the second LONG box
that contains the two wing spars, a few of the longer internal wing components
and flaperon skins. The parts literally fit into that box like a glove. Almost
every square inch is filled with parts, cardboard or Styrofoam panels …
All the parts were there ... but I did have an issue
with the plans where one page is just totally unreadable. The printing is VERY blurry
... looks as though the paper was either printed on twice or got jammed and got
askew while it was being printed on. A call to Van’s was made and the replacement page
is in the mail.